Friday, December 14, 2012

Can I maintain American citizenship but work and live in Canada


Can I maintain American citizenship but work and live in Canada?
How does that work? Would I have to pay taxes to both countries (or special kinds of taxes)? What rights would I enjoy if I just strip myself of my American citizenship and just become a Canadian? How many Americans live and work in Canada? Mamour: I'm a little confused. Do you mean I'd have to pay taxes to the U.S. even 10 years after I renounced my citizenship? Also, I meant more what rights would I enjoy as a Canadian citizen rather than just as a person living in Canada.
Immigration - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
yes you do have to pay taxes(file each year)what rights would you enjoy from renouncing your US citizenship? none!even if you renounced to your US citizenship you would still have to file for 10 years,afterwards, ps: yes, even after you renounced, you still have to file for 10 more years. not sure why anyone would do this? think of you would lose from renouncing US citizenship?
2 :
You pay Canadian taxes on the income you make in Canada and US taxes on what you make in the US. You have to declare the income you made in the US on your Canadian taxes and vice versa.However, this is only so you can only claim your personal exemption in one country, not both. You will not be double taxed. You do not have to renounce US citizenship. There are hundreds of thousands dual US/Canadian citizens.