Monday, June 14, 2010

If I have a business in the US can I work in Canada under the same business


If I have a business in the US can I work in Canada under the same business?
I have an advertising business for hotels. Basically I sell advertising in the area of the hotel that I am working. I currently work in the US, but want to go to Canada to work a couple of hotels there. I collect checks from local businesses and was wondering if this would be a problem since my business is in the US not Canada and if I would be able to cash the checks I receive in Canada? Otherwise there should be no problem as long as the hotel agrees to it.
Law & Ethics - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Operating an international business can be tricky on many levels. You really should see a lawyer that specializes in such things. A couple of thoughts for you: 1. You do not have a work visa for Canada. While US citizens can visit Canada without a visa, we can not work there without one. Being self employed is still working. 2. Your sales in Canada will be subject to Canadian tax laws. 3. You would need a business license in Canada. 4. Probably a dozen other things I have not though of yet.
2 :
You would be better here. Lower taxes, more people.