Sunday, June 14, 2009

Can I take tools into Canada to work on my boat and then take the tools back to the US without paying customs


Can I take tools into Canada to work on my boat and then take the tools back to the US without paying customs?
I have a boat in Canada that needs some repairs. I have all my tools in the US. Is there a way to take my pickup full of tools into Canada, work on my boat and then go back to the US with my tools, but without paying customs fee anywhere?
Other - Canada - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Make a list of the tools. Include a serial # for any that have one. Most power tools should have a serial #. Make sure that you declare them to Canada Customs when you enter the country and ask them to put a customs stamp on your list. Show that list to US customs when you leave and you should have no problems at all.
2 :
knh959 is correct in giving the safest option. I'll make a wild guess here and say that most of your tools wouldn't be mistaken as brand new. As long as you don't buy tools in Canada, you don't have to pay duties on them.